Problem installing the "nouveau" driver

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Fri Jun 18 20:02:34 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 17:35 +0100, Andrew Benton wrote:
> On 18/06/10 02:29, alupu at verizon.net wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > i686-pc-linux-gnu, 2.6.34, udev-156, (B)LFS
> > NVidia GeForce 8300GS
> >

> I think the 8000 series needs extra firmware. My wife's computer has a
> 8400GS which needs nv86.ctxprog and nv86.ctxvals. I compile them into
> the kernel with

Not as of the 2.6.34 kernel - my 8500GT card works fine under that
kernel. It may be a factor that I have support built-in rather than as a
module - certainly, I've not seen the problems Alex reports.

FYI, I've been trying out the full Nouveau 3D (Gallium) driver lately -
it's easy enough to do, if you're happy to build libdrm and Mesa from
git. It works basically, enough to run some OpenGL games, though clearly
has some missing functionality - e.g the Spring RTS engine is playable,
but with some terrain textures not rendering...

Simon.