Problem installing the "nouveau" driver

Neal Murphy neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu
Fri Jun 18 12:00:06 PDT 2010

On Friday 18 June 2010 13:38:39 alupu at verizon.net wrote:
> Jun 18, 2010 12:41:04 PM, Andrew Benton wrote
> me his comments on the subject.
>
> ----
>
> Hi Andy,
>
> Thanks for your message.  As I told Neil below,
> I'm hard at work at going over some log datails, etc. now.
> (I was hoping against hope Neil's interesting workaround
> will bring me afloat, but no cigar).
> I'll get back with details and comments on your very
> interesting words as soon as I have something more substantial,
> Thanks again.
>
> ----
>
> Jun 17, 2010 11:13:09 PM, neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu wrote:
> (EXCERPTS)
> << [We tried to] resolve this problem on a 'similar' system
> [experiencing] the console screen blanking and not returning.
> It wasn't the driver {1}, wasn't parameters, wasn't anything
> [we] could figure out.
> He was new to the system and Linux, but had probably been around
> computers for 40-50 years {2}.
> He found the solution himself:
>  setterm -powersave off -blank 0
> Figure out a way to have the system run it during boot.
> It solved his inexplicable problem and may well solve yours. >>
>
> Hi Neal,
>
> Thank you very much for your comments and willingness to help.
>
> Unfortunately, the _workaround_ has not worked on _my_ system.
> I even tried the formula after the system was fully up at the
> command prompt (the system does come up all the way;  you can
> work blindly - login, setterm, etc.)

OK. So it is not a simple "I'm sleeping and I can't wake up!" problem. This is
about where you discard all notions of 'how it should work' and ask, "How can
I see what it is really doing, since it doesn't seems to be do what is
expected?" It almost sounds like the system has found another video card to
use. If the mainboard has a video card on it, try connecting to that one. If
the video card has two ports, try using the other one (you might need a
digital/analog display adapter). Try using a different video card. Eventually
you should find working video, which will be a strong clue.