LFS 6.6 Chapter 8.1 Can't "make" new kernel

Franz L. Kuhlmann f_kuhlmann at freenet.de
Fri Jun 18 09:02:00 PDT 2010

After having installed Ubuntu 9.10 I worked quite happily through the
book up to section 8.1.
However, after executing make oldconfig (since I felt to be safe with my
rather ordinary desktop PC), ....
*
  * Random Number Generation
  *
   Pseudo Random Number Generation for Cryptographic modules
(CRYPTO_ANSI_CPRNG) [N/m/y/?] n
#
#
  configuration written to .config
#

I ran into trouble:

root:/sources/linux-2.6.32.8# make
scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/x86/Kconfig
2.6.32.8/usr/bin/ld:warning:cannotfindentrysymbol_start
/bin/sh: defaultingto080480b8: command not found
make: *** [include/config/kernel.release] Error 127
root:/sources/linux-2.6.32.8# vim README
root:/sources/linux-2.6.32.8#

In the archives of the past 3/4 months, I couldn't find anything which
might give me a hint to what the problem is.
Is there anybody around, pls, to put me straight.
--
Dipl. Ing. *Franz L. Kuhlmann* Mitteranger 34 D 82418 Murnau T
49/0-8841-629072