Problem installing the "nouveau" driver

Neal Murphy neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu
Thu Jun 17 20:12:55 PDT 2010

On Thursday 17 June 2010 21:29:35 alupu at verizon.net wrote:
>  Hello,
>
> i686-pc-linux-gnu, 2.6.34, udev-156, (B)LFS
> NVidia GeForce 8300GS
>
> I've been trying to install/run the nouveau "nouveau"
> kernel driver, to avoid installing the NVIDIA driver
> after each kernel upgrade.
>
> PROBLEM:
> So far, if on the "nouveau" kernel, I lose the video (the screen goes
> blank) on boot-up to command mode.

I recently was of absolutely no use helping someone resolve just this problem
on a 'similar' system. I did get him set up so the system would run fsck on
upon powerdown on his command--reboot, fsck, powerdown--and never any other
time, but the console screen blanking and not returning was beyond my ken. It
wasn't the driver, wasn't parameters, wasn't anything I or a few others could
figger out. He was new to the system and Linux, but had probably been around
computers for 40-50 years, so wasn't a helpless noob. He found the solution
himself:
    setterm -powersave off -blank 0

If setterm doesn't exist, find and build it. :) Then figure out a way to have
the system run it during boot. It solved his inexplicable problem and may
well solve yours.