How to skip two settings

Neal Murphy neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Jun 16 13:48:46 PDT 2010

On Wednesday 16 June 2010 16:23:09 Parmenides wrote:
> There are some excellent distro actually, but not my favourite. They
> will install many packages I do not need. What's more, I very like a
> clean and fast linux and the console mode is enough. So, I choose the
> LFS. Additionally, the LFS give me a chance to get familiar with Linux
> more and more. Actually, I want to configure a virtual Linux running
> on VMWare and play a server's role. But, the default settings make
> automatical boot  impossible.

What you are looking to change is 'hidden' inside the initramfs/initrd.
For the purpose of learning, you can unpack the LiveCD, disassemble it, unpack
the initramfs (or initrd, whichever it uses), adjust it as you desire, repack
it and repack the CD (or pack it into a hard drive partition or image file
for VMware/QEMU/etc.)

I've done this many times while tweaking Smoothwall until I finally got udev
and the initramfs archive to work as I wanted them to (read: learned how udev
and initramfs really work). I did this with both the ISO image and tweaking
the early boot stuff on the hard drive.

Only unfamiliarity prevents you from unpacking the live CD and fiddling with
it until it does what you want. Using the live CD is not optimal, but it
can't be beat for hands-on learning. Once you dive into that, though, you are
kind-of on your own; not many people grok isolinux, initramfs/initrd, and the
early boot environment, and it's way outside of building Linux from scratch.