priority in install of packages

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 15 12:02:19 PDT 2010

Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh wrote:

> In appendex (Dependency section), we have 2 part for each package:
> 1.Must be installed before 2.Installation depend on.
> now i don't know when i want to install package x, see 1 or 2 and
> install packages before compile package x.please guide me....

If you ask a concrete question, you'll get a concrete answer.

I pulled this from the book

[QUOTE]
Every package built in LFS relies on one or more other packages
in order to build and install properly. Some packages even
participate in circular dependencies, that is, the first package
depends on the second which in turn depends on the first. Because
of these dependencies, the order in which packages are built in
LFS is very important.
[END QUOTE]

For most people, this is enough of an answer. The relationships
between the packages are complex. The dev team has worked out
a build order which works. Don't tinker with it.

Here's some more:

[QUOTE]

Autoconf
Installation depends on: Bash, Coreutils, Grep, M4, Make, Perl, Sed, and
Texinfo
Test suite depends on: Automake, Diffutils, Findutils, GCC, and Libtool
Must be installed before: Automake
Optional dependencies: Emacs

[END QUOTE]

This means that you can't build and install Autoconf unless you have
already built and installed Bash, Coreutils, Grep, M4, Make, Perl, Sed,
and Texinfo.

You can't test Autoconf unless you have already built and installed
Automake, Diffutils, Findutils, GCC, and Libtool.

You can't build and install Automake unless you have already built
and installed Autoconf.

If later you build and install Emacs, it is recommended that you

Does that answer your question?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.