priority in install of packages

Neal Murphy neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Jun 15 09:23:35 PDT 2010

On Tuesday 15 June 2010 11:47:33 Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 4:14 AM, Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh
>
> <mohsen at pahlevanzadeh.org> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I'm in top of Chapter 5. Constructing a Temporary System.At this chapter
> > some package is introduced that we must compile them.My question is:
> > Do they have Chapter priority in compile same listed in chapter?For
> > example if i compile package 5.12.expet before 5.11.tcl, is it problem?
>
> The order of the packages is carefully crafted to make sure
> prerequisites are built in the correct order.  See the appendix for
> each packages dependencies.  For instance, expect requires tcl.  When
> we had a choice for the next package, it is added alphabetically, but
> there is really no reason to deviate from the order given in the book.
>
> You may, of course, do what pleases you, but be prepared to start over
> if it doesn't work.

To be absolutely clear, and to directly answer the question, yes, it is a
problem because Expect will fail to compile if the TCL programs and libraries
are not found.

To provide analogies, one cannot write an essay or poem until she has a sheet
of paper on the table in front of her and a pencil in hand, and one cannot
type and send an email until he has a working computer, an email program and
an active internet connection.

Just as the order of instructions in a computer program is very important, the
order of the instructions in the human program called, "The LFS Book" is just
as important. Functionally, it is exactly the same as an optimizing compiler;
only after one learns how packages (instructions) are interdependent can one
successfully reorder or optimize package compilation (instruction execution).

(For non-English-speaking LFS users, I hope this translates well enough.)