LFS (Version SVN-20100529) - 5.19. File-5.04

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Tue Jun 15 00:58:23 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 13:43 +0300, Face wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 1:25 PM, littlebat <dashing.meng at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It seems you have missed something, I remember we should always use
> > non-root user (lfs) to compile LFS in chapter 5 at least.
> >
> when i add lfs user i  get permissions problems

This probably means that you've either missed the commands that give
'lfs' write access to $LFS/tools and $LFS/sources (section 4.3), or
you're trying to extract tarballs or install packages to paths outside
of those two directories (see directions at bottom of section 5.3).

An observation - doing the chapter 5 build as root isn't going to cause
problems if everything else is done exactly right. But it has downsides
if you *don't* get everything else exactly right. The limited 'lfs' user
can write to just those two directories, and mistyped commands will fail
with permission errors. Running as root, the same mistyped command may
appear to succeed, but cause problems later - it may also damage the
host system, since it has permissions to mess with /bin, /etc...

Simon.