live and learn

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Fri Jun 11 01:31:49 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 03:55 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Simon Geard wrote:
> > I quite like an idea Fedora are working on - if installed to a btrfs
> > partition, use it's snapshot support to provide an easy rollback option
> > when installing updates.
> >
> > I've been meaning to try that approach myself, since I've trashed more
> > than a few systems while trying to update them.
>
> Hey, if you find out more, please do post information here!
> That sounds like a very attractive possibility.

The concept is simple enough - create a snapshot before doing anything
hazardous, and provide a mechanism for mounting a specific snapshot at
boot time. Here's a link to the Fedora proposal...

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemRollbackWithBtrfs

It seems this feature is partially implemented in F13 - the automatic
snapshots are enabled, though the UI is missing.

On an LFS, there's no automatic update process, so I figure I'd just
create periodic snapshots, say a weekly cron job, or maybe just
manually. And then configure an entry in grub to boot from the previous
snapshot. The concept is simple enough, I just haven't had a good chance
to try it out...

Simon.