live and learn

linux fan linuxscratch at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 09:00:27 PDT 2010

On 6/8/10, Neal Murphy <neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu> wrote:

> ... You'll learn to pause before hitting <ENTER>.

I learned that lesson very quickly. It is extremely important.

My system wouldn't last long without backups.
Speaking of backups and rescue disks, I am using an "rsync snapshots"
style of backup. It does not compress, yet it can save multiple
"copies" of a system at different points in time using remarkable
little disk space. Any "copy" can be rsynced to any mount point and so
I can recover or load up any system "copy" in around 20 minutes.  I
have several LFS builds (2 are 6.6), a few Fedoras, and miscellaneous
others. I loaded and ran FC4 the other day. I made a snapshot of my
current system yesterday, before installing some experimental stuff.

The backup might have looked something like this:
mount LABEL=BACK_UPS /back_up
back_up snapdir=/back_ups/LFS-6-2

My last restoration might have looked something like this:
mount LABEL=BACK_UPS /back_ups
mount /dev/[bla-bla] /mnt
cd /mnt
R-M-minus-R-star (you never write that in a post)
rsync -aH --numeric-ids /back_ups/LFS-6-2/root_fs/back_up.0/. /mnt/

More info on these rsync snapshots in case anyone is curious is here
http://linux-fan-alfs.blogspot.com/2008/03/system-backups.html

Disk size has increased and disk cost has decreased to the point that
I have much more available disk space than I need (it's hard to find a
tiny 20GB disk any more.) Actually I have 4 various sized disks
including 2 500GB drives and a few old spare drives lying aroung. Each
one of the disks ha one partition that is the "logical" type that is
reported by fdisk as "f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)". The "logical" partition can
contain partitions 5-15. More than one of the disks has a partition
dedicated to back ups. I'm lazy and don't regularly delete old copies.

Most of the systems in the scheme are bootable, so I automatically
have numerous "rescue" systems. I also have grub boot cd and lfs
livecd. I've learned to expect that I'll occasionally (or regularly as
the case may be) break something. Many times, one of the "rescue"
systems has been called upon to save the day, even if only for 1 file.