HSR's

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Wed Jun 9 04:04:47 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 19:54 -0400, Neal Murphy wrote:
> So, in the case that spawned this thread, the used could have continued to use
> his shell, albeit vey carefully and judiciously, until he exitted that shell.
> Even if he performed an 'rm -rf /', his shell would continue to run and he
> would continue to be able to use shell built-ins until he exitted that shell.
> At that point, only the root directory, '.' and '..' would be accessible.

Not necessarily - it depends on what else is happening on the system at
the same time. A few months back, I accidentally removed part of udev,
and the system died almost instantly - I never found out exactly what
went wrong, but speculate that something caused /dev to go missing,
which locked up X...

That was fun... ended up running off a Ubuntu live-boot for a week until
I could get a new LFS build done... :(

Simon.