live and learn

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 8 23:49:48 PDT 2010

Neal Murphy wrote:

[...]

> But you are right. I had no backups and no excuses. I have an empty 400GB
> drive that would have held most of that data. And there's no reason I could
> not have saved all the pics to DVDs. I didn't. I lost. Oh, well. No one died,
> and no critters or humans were harmed, so no foul. :) Too bad I didn't wipe
> out my ripped CDs. I could've re-ripped them. Sigh.

My backups are stored about 13 miles from my machine so I can have
a fire burn it up and destroy the discs, and not lose much. BTW, making
a good backup which is consistent is not as easy as it sounds. I
always drop to single user mode, unmount everything, run fscks on
it all, then remount read only, and then do the backup.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.