HSR's

Paul Rogers paulgrogers at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 8 16:04:21 PDT 2010

> [ $(ls  /lib/libc-*.so \
>  | sed 's/[.-]/ /g' \ awk '{print ($2<3 && $3<4) ? "foo" : "bar"}') ==
>  | "foo" ] &&
>  sed -i '/k prot/agcc_cv_libc_provides_ssp=yes' ../gcc-
>  4.5.0/gcc/configure
>
> Please pardon me being silly.

I think you'd've LOVED APL!

This is better than one sed to insert "no-" in nscd's Makefile, then
rerunning the glibc build after gcc?  If and when a workaround is
needed.  Guess I'm "old school". ;-)

> I understand your concern, but "armored-up" is really not necessary.

Not when I pull the plug, it's not!  ;-)  (Old school, again.)

> In order to make any type of connection to the new system, a process
> must be listening to a port.  There are no such processes in lfs.  The
> ping of localhost is not technically a TCP/IP process.  It never goes
> "on the wire".

Certainly.  At some point in further building it may happen that there
is a running network before it's ready to meet the world.  Better, in
general, to build standalone until fully armored.  Start that way and
it's easy to stay that way through BLFS installation.  I built my LFS-
4.1 off a RHL-6.1 system.  They start the network, THEN they start the
firewall.  People make mistakes like this all the time.  It's a PITA to
get to this box's NIC connector, seemed like runlevel 2 was easier.

> After boot, the telnet, ftp, and some other clients are available, but
> we specifically --disable-servers in inetutils.

True, and I took the extra step of disabling the r* builds.

> > I've never used mawk, so I'm not familiar how similar it may be to
> > gawk, but gawk is what the Host System Requirements specify.
>
> mawk isn't all that compatible with original AKW awk.

After all I've been through, and put you all through, I'd BETTER be one
that notes gawk is required, eh?  ;-)

> In " Host system Requirements", the instructions explicitly wants
> '/bin/sh' to be pointing to bash. Mine was pointing to dash. So I
> endeavoured to change it by deleting the symlink and then create
> another symlink to point to bash. However, being a naive newbie all

You can minimize the interval with "ln -sf bash /bin/sh".  Then it
stomps on the old link to dash and there's no appreciable interval when
there's no /bin/sh--but it's still not to be advised when it's a shell
something in your tty branch might have run you're messing with!

> hell broke loose when I deleted the symlink, and everything was
> misbehaving. So, before I realized what I had done I logged out
> rebooted and then couldn't log back in anymore.

Betcha don't do that nomore!  ;-)

> Sooo...before I do something else that I'm not suppose to do, I
> thought I'd get advise first. My thinking is that I need to get a
> Linux rescue or recovery CD, mount the file system on the hard drive,
> and then add a symlink to bash. Make sense or is there an easier way?
>
> Any recommendations on a rescue disk?

What have you got?  Tom's root boot (RTBT) runs on a floppy.  Knoppix?
If you don't have a Knoppix LiveCD, you should.  Virtually any LiveCD
should do.
--
Paul Rogers
paulgrogers at fastmail.fm