Build Runlevel

Paul Rogers paulgrogers at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 8 08:42:37 PDT 2010

I don't recall the book saying anything about it, possibly runlevel
3 is so typical it has never come up, but as I mentioned a week ago
or so, I think there would be an advantage to building LFS within
runlevel 2--where there's no network running, no chance of some
external attack on a vulnerable system midstream.  It's easier than
"pulling the plug."  Last night I discovered the perl tests really
don't like that!  Some want to ping localhost, etc.  I suppose it's
legitimate to expect the host to provide a protected environment,
but that newly minted LFS system really shouldn't be connected to
a network until it's "armored-up".
--
Paul Rogers
paulgrogers at fastmail.fm