Some LFS 6.5 -> 6.6 Inconsistencies

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 15:45:10 PDT 2010

Tim Burress wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just finished upgrading from LFS 6.5 to 6.6 and there were a few
> small inconsistencies I noticed along the way:
>
> (1) When building make, the book calls for a patch called
> make-3.81-upsream_fixes-1.patch, but this is not available in the FTP
> archive (or at least the mirror I used).

It's there at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches/lfs/6.6/make-3.81-upstream_fixes-1.patch

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches/lfs/6.6/perl-5.10.1-utf8-1.patch

> (3) When building e2fsprogs, the book calls for version 1.41.10 but the
> FTP archive has 1.41.9. Meanwhile the e2fsprogs people recommend
> 1.41.12, and the bug list is frightening enough that I just used that.

OK, I'll fix up the mirror master.

> And that's about it. One suggestion is that it would be REALLY, REALLY
> convenient if future versions of the book had "change bars" to indicate
> which parts were modified from the previous edition. There's a lot of
> detailed sed hackery, etc, and it would be good to be able to see at a
> glance when that's been changed (or not).

That's not so easy.  We create the book with Docbook xml.  I don't know
of a way to to do that.  We do have both a change log and a "What's new"
section.  We are trying to do a new release every 6 months.  If you look
at "What's new", almost every package changes each time, but most use
the instructions unchanged.

   -- Bruce