lfs-support Digest, Vol 2032, Issue 1

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 7 14:24:41 PDT 2010

On 7 June 2010 19:43, Prasoon Maheshwari <maheshwariprasoon at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using virtual box for LFS 6.2.

 You're building LFS-6.2 ?  If so, why ? It's seriously old.

> I have compiled binutils. After
> that , on unzipping bz2 in binutils-build "bzip2 -d gcc.tar.bz2" it
> shows

1. The binutils-build directory is for building binutils.  When you have
done that, you should come out of it *and remove it* as well as
removing the source directory from binutils.  Failing to do that
will give problems later.

2. Any distro using a modern version of tar can extract .bz2 and .gz
tarballs without any additional flags.  I'm not sure if all recent versions
of ubuntu can do that, but at worst you can 'tar -xjf filename.tar.bz2'
( use-j for bzip 2, -z for gzipped).

> bzip2: I/0 or other error, bailing out. Possible reason follows.
> bzip2: No space left on device.
> I got 40.77G.B. vitual memory for the system.

But how much space do you have on the disk partition ?  By the
look of this, you are "in the red zone" (typically, a few percent of the
space in a filesystem is reserved for root's use).  Either, you are
trying to build on an extremely tiny partition (enough room for the
sources but not much else), or (more likely) you are not building in
the right place.

> Can you suggest me how to make ubuntu 10.04 as My host system.
> The only operating system in my machine is Ubuntu 10.04.

 For ubuntu, always remember to read the 'host system requirements'.
Those in the -development book were recently updated and are
probably more reliable than what is in the 6.6 book.  I single out
ubuntu here because some of their choices (particularly awk -> mawk
and sh -> dash) are disastrous for an LFS build.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"