Some LFS 6.5 -> 6.6 Inconsistencies

Tim Burress tim at variosecure.net
Sun Jun 6 21:43:12 PDT 2010

Hello,

I've just finished upgrading from LFS 6.5 to 6.6 and there were a few
small inconsistencies I noticed along the way:

(1) When building make, the book calls for a patch called
make-3.81-upsream_fixes-1.patch, but this is not available in the FTP
archive (or at least the mirror I used).

(2) When building perl, the book calls for a utf8 patch to avoid a
segmentation fault, but the patch is not available in the FTP archive.
By contrast, there is a libc patch in the archive that isn't in the
book. Maybe it's just a file naming problem?

(3) When building e2fsprogs, the book calls for version 1.41.10 but the
FTP archive has 1.41.9. Meanwhile the e2fsprogs people recommend
1.41.12, and the bug list is frightening enough that I just used that.

And that's about it. One suggestion is that it would be REALLY, REALLY
convenient if future versions of the book had "change bars" to indicate
which parts were modified from the previous edition. There's a lot of
detailed sed hackery, etc, and it would be good to be able to see at a
glance when that's been changed (or not).

Thanks!