LFS-6.6, Stage2, glibc, nscd.c:442

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 03:18:34 PDT 2010

On 03/06/10 05:22, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Andrew Benton wrote:
>> If I'm reading those correctly the problem happens when newer versions
>> of gcc are compiled against an older version of glibc, which begs the
>> question, why was Paul Rogers getting the "undefined reference to
>> __stack_chk_guard" error in chapter 6? At that point the gcc he was
>> using should have been compiled against the new glibc in /tools
>> Or am I missing something?
>
> Nope. I think that's the nub of it. I also think it's a question
> worth trying to answer.

I've just done some googling on the subject today and it seems that when
gcc is compiled as a cross compiler it can cause the "undefined
reference to `__stack_chk_guard'" error. Of course, the version of gcc
being used in chroot, the second version of gcc compiled in chapter 5,
shouldn't be a cross compiler. IE, it shouldn't have been configured
with --target=$LFS_TGT. I wonder if the people reporting these errors
mistakenly used the option --target=$LFS_TGT when they compiled gcc the
second time in chapter 5?

Andy