perl, gdbm and perl's obsequious help

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jun 3 01:08:33 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 02:39 -0400, Neal Murphy wrote:
> On Thursday 03 June 2010 00:30:58 Chris Staub wrote:
> > I just built Perl in Chapter 5, and I do have gdbm installed (this is on
> > a couple-week-old LFS svn host system). I get "<gdbm.h> NOT found."
> > during Configure, and it doesn't look like anything in Perl tries to
> > link to libgdbm.
>
> Dig deep. Perl's configure, trying to be ever-so-helpful, finds it (libgdbm.*)
> on the host (your LFS SVN host) and configures support for the package.

Curious... like Chris, I routinely build LFS from a host with gdbm
installed (i.e LFS itself), and never observed any problems relating to
perl. Indeed, even on completed LFS install, /usr/bin/perl isn't linked
against gdbm, and runs fine if I remove the libgdbm libraries.

Can you be more specific about the problems you're seeing? Does the perl
executable fail to run at all, unable to link to libgdbm.so? Or is it
something less obvious?

Simon.