perl, gdbm and perl's obsequious help

Neal Murphy neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Jun 2 23:39:38 PDT 2010

On Thursday 03 June 2010 00:30:58 Chris Staub wrote:
> I just built Perl in Chapter 5, and I do have gdbm installed (this is on
> a couple-week-old LFS svn host system). I get "<gdbm.h> NOT found."
> during Configure, and it doesn't look like anything in Perl tries to
> link to libgdbm.

Dig deep. Perl's configure, trying to be ever-so-helpful, finds it (libgdbm.*)
on the host (your LFS SVN host) and configures support for the package. (This
is probably because there are CPAN packages that use gdbm and perl quietly
configures support for gdbm, 'knowing' that you will someday use one of those
packages.

It was a real PITA digging out those extra four options: documentation is
scant.