LFS-6.6, Stage2, glibc, nscd.c:442

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 16:20:27 PDT 2010

Mike McCarty wrote:
> linux fan wrote:
>> On 6/2/10, Danny Engelbarts <d.engelbarts at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> ...  a 6.3 system is required than the book should state 6.3 until proven
>>> otherwise.
>> That is just exactly what the DEV book now requires.
>>
>> Unfortunately, now we don't get to find out exactly why the original problem
>> "undefined reference to __stack_chk_guard"
>> surfaces from time to time.
>
> This may be a better discussion of the "problem", if such it be.
>
> http://www.ecos.sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2006-04/msg00009.html

That is a general description of the problem.

The more specific problem that we haven't solved is why some LFS systems
appear to need -lssp when building ncsd within the chroot environment
but most (at least reported to us) systems don't need it.

The version of glibc within chroot certainly should support ssp but the
two reports we have didn't seem to find it automatically.  Others cannot
duplicate the problem.  If we had consistent errors on most builds, we
could fix it.

   -- Bruce