perl, gdbm and perl's obsequious help

Neal Murphy neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Jun 2 14:22:51 PDT 2010

Some time back (LFS 6.4), I discovered that perl's configure program can
poison the build; it is designed to be extremely helpful by ferreting out
features of the host system to support. Specifically in my case, because it
found libgdbm on the host system, it configured perl to include support for
gdbm; this causes the build to fail later because perl can't find libgdbm.
Alas, such obsequiousness hoses the LFS build process.

The standard LFS configure options for perl do not prevent this from
happening. For review, the options are:
    -des -Dprefix=/tools -Dstatic_ext='Data/Dumper Fcntl IO POSIX'

After days of gnashing teeth and rending garments (my hair is too short to
pull out in tufts) and parsing perl's configure script, I developed the
correct incantation:
    -des -Dprefix=/tools -Dstatic_ext="Data/Dumper Fcntl IO POSIX" \
    -Donlyextensions="Data/Dumper Fcntl IO POSIX" \
    -Dglincpth="/tools/include" -Dglibpth="/tools/lib" \
    -Dinc_version_list=none

The four extra options are required _when building the toolchain_ to ensure
absolutely that perl's configure
  - configures those extensions and ONLY those extensions, and
  - cannot examine the host for features to support
These options should work regardless of what is installed on the host build
system.