Being a "trailer"

linux fan linuxscratch at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 10:59:31 PDT 2010

On 6/2/10, Paul Rogers <paulgrogers at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> To be a proper "trailer" you need to have a system with ONLY the
> minimum requirements for the book.  Otherwise you aren't proving
> building will work with only those.

I don't think you will find any volunteers to perform the intricate
and time-consuming labor. This is partly because the releases move
forward fast enough to discourage volunteers.

I loaded up a LFS-6.2 system (love rsync) and it exceeds minimum
requirements for 6.6 except for the kernel. It does not meet
requirements for DEV.

While configuring a kernel, just for fun, I saw this:
CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE:
  x Enabling this option will pass "-Os" instead of "-O2" to gcc
  x resulting in a smaller kernel.
  x WARNING: some versions of gcc may generate incorrect code with this
  x option.  If problems are observed, a gcc upgrade may be needed.
  x If unsure, say N.
 and that made me wonder.

We may never know for sure exactly what caused the original problem
"undefined reference to __stack_chk_guard" which seems to surface from
time to time.