lfs-6.6 booting on my vmware!, but allays checking consistence of sda1

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 2 08:32:04 PDT 2010

On 2 June 2010 16:05, mhenriquezs at terra.cl <mhenriquezs at terra.cl> wrote:
> Hi guys:
>

> So, I wonder if there is some way to check what dates the ext3
> filesystem is taking into account to see what is wrong there or more
> simple, a way to turn off that checking consistence of the filesystem
> acording to a date on boot?

 I've seen somewhat similar things on my ibook (when the battery dies,
the date is reset to, I think, 1900 - a PC would probably reset to a more
recent date).  On ppc32, the 1900 date is interpreted as a date in the
future.  In my case, the system runs fsck.  If the date is still wrong, it
 then has to again run fsck on the next boot.

 Your problem does indeed sound as if the clock used by vmware was
at some weird date.  Use 'dumpe2fs | less' to read the filesystem.  If
the creation date is weird (in the future, or before the epoch i.e. 1970),
I suggest you tar up the filesystem to your backup storage, recreate it,
and then restore.

 Altering the date in the bios, except to correct it, is generally a bad
idea.

 Turning off filesystem checking will mean that if you do have minor
fs problems (I've seen some over the years, YMMV) they will pass
unnoticed until they become more severe.  That was one of the
problems with reiserfs3 (ISTR it did eventually require an fsck).

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"