Unable to even start compiling

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sat Jan 30 23:48:19 PST 2010

On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 21:25 +0000, David Shaw wrote:
> My problem is that the first command under chapter 5.4, binutils - mkdir
> -v ../binutils-build - fails with a 'permission denied'.  First
> question, am I working in the right place?
>
> lfs:~$ pwd
> /home/lfs

No. As per the "Important!" note under "General Compilation
Instructions", *all* build instructions for a package assume that you're
within the directory extracted from that package's source files. So for
running that failing command, you should be in the binutils source
directory, not /home/lfs.

Out of curiosity, did you read that general instructions page and forget
it, or did you simply skip over the entire page? Seems like half the
problems raised on this list come from people who haven't followed them,
and it'd be useful to know why...

Simon.