Unable to even start compiling

David Shaw dj.shaw at btconnect.com
Sat Jan 30 13:25:56 PST 2010

After a few years of trying to find *the* perfect distro for me, I've
decided that the only way I'm going to get it is to build it myself.
Hence I'm trying LFS, but have run into a problem.

I am using the LFS Live CD, version 6.3-r2145 and, because this is my
first attempt at building my own system, I'm sandboxing it by installing
to a Virtualbox VM.  Working from the LFS book version 6.5 (actually,
re-reading this email before posting, could that be the problem? A
slight disparity between the v6.3 disc and v6.5 instructions?).

My problem is that the first command under chapter 5.4, binutils - mkdir
-v ../binutils-build - fails with a 'permission denied'.  First
question, am I working in the right place?

lfs:~$ pwd
/home/lfs

If not, where should I be?  What else do you want to know to point me in
the right direction?

And yes, I know I'm probably doing something really simple and stupid,
but for the life of me, I can not work out what.

Many thanks, in advance,

David Shaw