Unable to boot from usb harddisk

Hans Kaper spakyelj at xs4all.nl
Sat Jan 30 07:11:02 PST 2010

Op Fri, 29 Jan 2010 00:02:55 +0100 schreef Bruce Dubbs
<bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>:

> Hans Kaper wrote:
>> Op Thu, 21 Jan 2010 22:48:42 +0100 schreef Hans Kaper
>> <spakyelj at xs4all.nl>:
>
>> It's a pity that nobody cared to react to my post.
>
> I saw at least 10 responses in a thread started by you about this.

Bruce, thanks for your reaction. I think you point to the responses of my
September-thread. But this is a new one and I see only my and now your
reaction in the mailinglist of january.

>> The problem is still there, although I was able to boot into LFS just
>> by removing one of the partitions in front of my LFS-partition, so
>> that the LFS-partition had the same number as before the splitting.
>
> I've move on to GRUB2.  I don't remember the details of GRUB Legacy.
> Try using the GRUB instructions in the -dev book.

I will certainly do and use your hint. For the moment I stick to Grub 0.97
in order to make my Linux-life not more complicated then it already is.

>> But the question still remains: why does the kernel panic when the
>> partition number of its root device changes?
>
> The kernel needs to be able to find /sbin/init.  If you don't tell it
> where it's root partition is, how can it find it.  Most distros now
> search for a UUID on a partition, but that requires an initrd which is
> beyond the scope of LFS.

I found out what I did wrong. By inserting a new partition in front of my
lfs-partition, I thought the partitionnumber of the lfs-partition was
increased by 1 so I changed Grub en fstab accordingly. But the number did
not change! The number of the new partition was added at the end of the
row. Changing Grub and fstab to what they were originally and LFS booted
fine.

> There is a hint though:
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/initrd.txt

I will experiment with that sometime. Thanks for the tip.