Unable to boot from usb harddisk

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 15:02:55 PST 2010

Hans Kaper wrote:
> Op Thu, 21 Jan 2010 22:48:42 +0100 schreef Hans Kaper <spakyelj at xs4all.nl>:

> It's a pity that nobody cared to react to my post.

I saw at least 10 responses in a thread started by you about this.

> The problem is still there, although I was able to boot into LFS just
> by removing one of the partitions in front of my LFS-partition, so
> that the LFS-partition had the same number as before the splitting.

I've move on to GRUB2.  I don't remember the details of GRUB Legacy.
Try using the GRUB instructions in the -dev book.

> But the question still remains: why does the kernel panic when the
> partition number of its root device changes?

The kernel needs to be able to find /sbin/init.  If you don't tell it
where it's root partition is, how can it find it.  Most distros now
search for a UUID on a partition, but that requires an initrd which is
beyond the scope of LFS.

There is a hint though:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/initrd.txt

   -- Bruce