LFS6.4 step 5.17 compiling coreutils-6.12 error

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 18:20:48 PST 2010

Trent Shea wrote:

> Just for kicks I just built up to gcc pass 2 in chapter 5 and issued the
> commands above and this is my output:
>
> <snipped some junk>
> #include "..." search starts here:
> #include <...> search starts here:
>  /mnt/data/data/build/lfs-main/lfs/lfs-testing/tools/bin/../lib/gcc/i686-pc-
> linux-gnu/4.4.1/include
>  /mnt/data/data/build/lfs-main/lfs/lfs-testing/tools/bin/../lib/gcc/i686-pc-
> linux-gnu/4.4.1/include-fixed
>  /tools/include
>

>  If I'm reading the above correctly we're isolated from the host at this
> point, with the exception of PATH. Binutils takes care of the library search
> path and gcc takes care of the headers search path. Of course, there could be
> some evil configure scripts that look in well known locations... I'm mostly
> just thinking out loud here, but I'm hoping this can be confirmed so that I can
> give advice and help troubleshoot in the future with a bit more certainty.

No, you aren't isolated from the host until you enter chroot in Chapter
6.  As you build Chapter 5, you get more of what you previously build,
but there are libraries and headers from the host that are still
potentially available.  The linker still uses the libraries in
/etc/ld.so.conf for your tools when building other programs.

   -- Bruce