Ncurses 5.7 fail to configure

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 11:42:05 PST 2010

Chris Staub wrote:
> On 01/26/2010 02:08 PM, Chris Staub wrote:
>> Nope. I can guarantee that the problem is that there is something wrong
>> in the user's $PATH or some other part of the environment. This has
>> *always* been the case every single time I have every seen any user get
>> this error. If the environment is correct, it would never be complaining
>> about GPM, regardless of its version or whatever. The issue is that the
>> user has missed something in the book. Adding --without-gpm is a
>> workaround and will likely allow Ncurses to compile, but there *will* be
>> more problems later.
>
> Either the environment is wrong, or something is missing from
> /tools/bin. I bet /tools/bin/g++ probably doesn't exist...

Possibly, but I don't think so.  The configure file does:

   cat >conftest.$ac_ext <<_ACEOF
#line 4321 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <gpm.h>
_ACEOF

If gpm.h is in the host's /usr/include, it will pass.  If it does pass,
it does:

cat >>confdefs.h <<\EOF
#define HAVE_GPM_H 1
EOF

LIBS="-lgpm  $LIBS"
cat >conftest.$ac_ext <<_ACEOF
#line 4376 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C"
#endif
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char Gpm_Open ();
int
main ()
{
Gpm_Open ();
   ;
   return 0;
}
_ACEOF

ac_link='$CC -o conftest$ac_exeext $CFLAGS $CPPFLAGS $LDFLAGS
conftest.$ac_ext $LIBS >&5'

(eval $ac_link) 2>&5

If libgpm.so is in the host's /usr/lib, then it will try to link, but if
Gpm_Open() isn't there, it will fail.

   -- Bruce