Ncurses 5.7 fail to configure

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 11:02:39 PST 2010

Chris Staub wrote:

>>> On 01/26/2010 06:00 AM, Dmitry Sokolov wrote:

>>> This is usually the result of a bad $PATH or stuff missing in /tools.
>>> Paste the output of "env", and "ls /tools/bin".
>>> --
>> Where to insert result env and ls/tools/bin in $PATH?
>>

> I didn't say anything about "inserting env into $PATH". I simply said to
> run two commands ("env" and "ls /tools/bin") and paste their output.

Chris,
    I don't think this is the issue.  In Chapter 5, we still use
/usr/include and /usr/lib.  If the host system has /usr/include/gpm.h
and an old /usr/lib/libgpm.so.1, I think we will get this error.  My
reference systems has:

checking if you want to link with the GPM mouse library... maybe
checking for gpm.h... no

If libgpm is OK, then it doesn't matter because it will not be built
into ncurses when we do it again in Chapter 6.  The problem here appears
that the host system does not support Gpm_Open in -lgpm, so he can't
build ncurses without an additional switch.

If the above analysis is correct, we may want to add --without-gpm to
the book's Chapter 5 ncurses configure command as a "just in case" scenerio.

   -- Bruce