Tool backup methods

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 04:45:04 PST 2010

On 26/01/10 09:07, Simon Geard wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 11:45 +0000, Andrew Benton wrote:
>> It annoys me that tar doesn't have a proper man page.
>
> I believe the maintainers are among those who prefer to provide their
> documentation in the texinfo format, something not uncommon among GNU
> projects. Unfortunately, most users probably don't even know the 'info'
> command exists, never mind how to actually use it, so that documentation
> is somewhat wasted.

Info has it's uses, for example apps like bash or make which are so
complex that if you put all the documentation in a single man page it
would be so big it would be impractical to use.
However, tar is not that complex. A single man page for tar works fine.
If the developers refuse to make one because they prefer info then that
is broken by design.
Personally I never use info. If I can't find what I need in the man page
I do what the OP did and use Google.

Andy