Tool backup methods

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 03:45:13 PST 2010

On 25/01/10 09:18, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
> I feel silly now. I used this command after looking a bit harder and
> using my google-fu.
> I used this from inside the $LFS directory.
> tar --bzip2 -cvf /home/myusername/LFStools.tar.bz2 tools

It annoys me that tar doesn't have a proper man page. You can find out
how to use it by running
tar --help|less
Coreutils contails a perl script called help2man that can convert the
output of <command> --help into a useful man page. I install it into bin
install -m755 ~/coreutils-7.6/man/help2man /usr/bin
and then use it to generate a man page for tar
help2man -o /usr/share/man/man1/tar.1 tar

Andy