NFS Boot

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 09:14:31 PST 2010

Mikie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am converting my LFS to NFS boot by coping files to the NFS root.
>
> My question is:
>
> Would it be better to create a local hard drive swap and file system for
> certain root dir?
>
> Should Tmp  be local rather than on the NFS root?
>
> Any suggestions on what to keep local would help.

Unless you are trying to create a completely diskless workstation, I'd
recommend putting /bin, /boot, /dev, /etc, /lib, /root, /sbin, and swap
on the local system.

5.3M    /bin
59M     /boot
64K     /dev
19M     /etc
16M     /lib
62M     /root
5.7M    /sbin

That could probably be tightened up by removing some files from /root
and /boot and stripping binaries and libraries.

   -- Bruce