70-persistent-net.rules not created

jmscott at setex.ipcallback.com jmscott at setex.ipcallback.com
Sun Jan 10 19:40:08 PST 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 08:38:09PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> jmscott at setex.ipcallback.com wrote:
>
> > from examining the udevadm source, it appears the environment variable list
> > is rebuilt for the execve call to /lib/udev/write_net_rules.
> > i do see the INTERFACE env variable being passed to udevadm in main(),
> > as expected, but not being included in the envp list passed to the exec call
> > /lib/udev/write_net_rules, hence the error above.
> > in other words, it appears udevadm is not inheriting the exported environent
> > as expected.
>
> Why don't you just run a test and add a 'env' command to the top of
> /lib/udev/write_net_rules to see what all the environment variables are?

the standard output to /lib/udev/write_net_rules is
caught and filtered by udevadm, so examining the env list to execve()
seemed a bit more direct.

adding a call to env in /lib/udev/write_net_rules has same result.
INTERFACE is not defined.

> If INTERFACE set before you call write_net_rules and not within the

verified with a printf of getenv(INTERFACE) in main() of udevadm.

> script, then we need to solve that problem.

> You are using bash, right?

yep, /bin/bash, not /tools/bin/bash .

up until this problem, i was carefully following the letter of the book,
with no problems.

>    -- Bruce

ambitious and much needed project, by the way.

-j