70-persistent-net.rules not created

jmscott at setex.ipcallback.com jmscott at setex.ipcallback.com
Sun Jan 10 18:17:12 PST 2010

On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 12:48:42PM -0600, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> jmscott at setex.ipcallback.com wrote:
>
> > i see the error
> >
> >    util_run_program: 'write_net_rules'
> >    util_run_program: '/lib/udev/write_net_rules' (stderr) 'missing $INTERFACE'
> >    util_run_program: 'write_net_rules' returned with exitcode 1
> >
> > amongst the voluminous output.
> >
> > i tried exporting INTERFACE and rerunning the command ... same error output.
>
> Try again.  'write_net_rules' is a script.  It's erroring out at
>
> if [ -z "$INTERFACE" ]; then
>     echo "missing \$INTERFACE" >&2
>     exit 1
> fi
>
> You are doing something wrong with setting the INTERFACE variable.

looks like the problem is a bit more subtle.

from examining the udevadm source, it appears the environment variable list
is rebuilt for the execve call to /lib/udev/write_net_rules.
i do see the INTERFACE env variable being passed to udevadm in main(),
as expected, but not being included in the envp list passed to the exec call
/lib/udev/write_net_rules, hence the error above.
in other words, it appears udevadm is not inheriting the exported environent
as expected.

getting too late tonight for me to continue tracing, but so far
this appears to be more than a simple invocation error.

-j