GCC Pass 1

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Sat Jan 9 20:06:58 PST 2010

On 01/09/2010 06:37 PM, Hamish West wrote:

> The solutions for binutils was i just needed to change the privileges
> and ownership of some folder, Ive forgotten which one, i think it was
> $LFS/tools.
>
> Hamish,

No it wasn't. First, the only ownership/permissions that need to be
changed are what the book says to. Second, if it was $LFS/tools it
simply means you skipped over something else, but your problem had
nothing to do with $LFS/tools since it was a permissions issue while
*building* Binutils, before it even needs to look at $LFS/tools.
Therefore, that problem wasn't really fixed. Besides, if you "need" to
change permissions on anything else, it's because you have missed
something in the book. The real solution to the problem with Binutils is
to follow the book's instructions and start from the source directory
before typing anything on the page.

> Did you remember to
> mv -v mpfr-2.4.1 mpfr after unpacking mpfr _inside_ the directory where
> the gcc source code is unpacked?
>
> The same for gmp
> mv -v gmp-4.3.1 gmp
>
> rblythe
>
> Sorry about the subject line, and when i unpack, im still in the
> previous directory, the binutils build one, so hopefully thats problem
> solved, thanks,
> Hamish

And that's another problem in itself. I repeat yet again, read page 5.3.
Specifically, the binutils-build directory should no longer even exist
when you start on GCC.