Stuck at 5.7.1

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 16:32:16 PST 2010

Abhinav Chaturvedi wrote:

> So I guess I am looking for someone to tell me - perhaps reassure me - that
> I could build my own shareable (on a disk) distro that could compete
> (outperform?) standard linux distros. I understand I would need to do other
> stuff - like arrange for an installer. But if I could know now from people
> who know better that its possible, then it will would help me persist.

Well, the LSB used a modified and extended version version of LFS as a
starting point for their build methodology.

The big issue with a distro is updating the packages.  The version
control is one of the biggest factors in maintenance.  There is
slackware whch does things by tgz files, debian with .deb files, and
RedHat with .rpm files. And there are other methods.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/introduction/pkgmgt.html

Note:  I don't remember why I removed this section several years ago,
but I just added it back in tonight.

   -- Bruce