Stuck at 5.7.1

Abhinav Chaturvedi achaturvedi at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 14:45:04 PST 2010

Hi all,
I am not joining this thread to state my position. I am a first time LFS
user and I recently managed to compile my own kernel. And now I am working
on BLFS. Am I glad that I persisted with LFS? I sure am... Linux does not
look that intimidating anymore. I can see that it is beautifully put
together.

But that said, I chanced upon LFS because I had an agenda - and it was not
entirely about education. What I really wanted as I started on LFS was to
build my own Core2 optimized, branded Linux distro. Hence, when I heard
Mikie say here, "LFS is not meant as something people "use" for everyday
use", I started to wonder whether I should be doing something different in
pursuit of my agenda.

So I guess I am looking for someone to tell me - perhaps reassure me - that
I could build my own shareable (on a disk) distro that could compete
(outperform?) standard linux distros. I understand I would need to do other
stuff - like arrange for an installer. But if I could know now from people
who know better that its possible, then it will would help me persist.

Abhinav.

2010/1/9 Mikie <kmb at mikienet.com>

> I'm one that stands on the same side of the fence as Bruce (and every
> other contributor to this thread, I believe) in that the focus of the
> book is meant to be educational, and a minimum knowledge of Linux/Unix
> is expected. Total newbies need not apply. :-)
>

> [K. Mike Bradley] Agreed
>
> If you don't fit that description, then LFS is not for you. I've sat
> silent listening to this thread and have come to the conclusion that
> you do not understand the concept of LFS, hence your disappointment
> in its ability to "reach people". Hey, we just agree to disagree on the
> purpose and intent of the book! No big deal!
>
> [K. Mike Bradley] I am not a newbie to Linux ... just a newbie to
> building Linux
>
> LFS is not meant as something people "use" for everyday use (though it
> can be used that way). LFS is a learning tool that also builds a
> helluva good operating system. Take advantage of the purpose of the
> project, you'll be glad you did.
>

> [K. Mike Bradley] I have built LFS twice successfully.
> I don't think I learned a damned thing each time.
> It's just rot  stuff ... do this ... do that.
>
> I am a professional trainer and I know how to teach better than most
> trainers.
> LFS fails to teach.
>
> Part of the reason it does is because it is too overwhelming to the
> average crowd of Linux users.
> Too much time is wasted in fixing the host and getting thru CH 5 to get
> an independent tool chain.
>
> I stand by my statement that having a simpler book (maybe in addition to
> the existing) which provides a LiveCD would be better for those new to
> building Linux.
> We need to see how the operating system goes together first before we
> get into more complex tasks such as building an independent tool chain.
>
> I have found some articles which will help me understand the components
> of Linux and how to make them.
> I am abandoning LFS for now.
>
> QED.
> --

It's the peoples' will, I am their leader, I must follow them. (Jim Hacker
in Yes Minister)