Stuck at 5.7.1

Lefty ( 石鏡 ) lefty at shugendo.org
Sat Jan 9 09:34:38 PST 2010

On 1/9/10 9:03 AM, "Mikie" <kmb at mikienet.com> wrote:

> I am a professional trainer and I know how to teach better than most
> trainers.
> LFS fails to teach.

Well, given that it's in its sixth major version and has spawned a sort of
universe of sister projects, it seems to have taught _someone_ _something_
or other. It's clearly failed to teach you, and that's too bad, but I'm not
convinced it's the fault of the material. This is the third time I've run
through LFS as it's evolved, and I've found it both helpful and practical,
and consistently better and more useful as it evolves.

> Part of the reason it does is because it is too overwhelming to the
> average crowd of Linux users.

I don't think it's aimed, as I've said, at the "average crowd of Linux
users". Maybe we have different ideas of what "average" constitutes here.

> Too much time is wasted in fixing the host and getting thru CH 5 to get
> an independent tool chain.

This is not a "waste of time", this is a core part of the process. If you
don't do this here, and don't understand why you're doing it, you'll be
completely at sea if you attempt to tackle something like CLFS, which
absolutely, positively, requires this sort of isolation and
cross-compilation process.

If you want to build a Linux system from scratch (and that's what's being
advertised here, not from "tools on a CD, and a bit of scratch where it's
not too inconvenient") then chapter 5 represents a "best practice". This is,
in fact, how it ought to be done (not to mention that it includes some
whizzy tricks in building a fully-optimized GCC, for instance).

No one is really well-served by short-cutting something like that, no matter
how convenient it may seem to you. If you think it's unnecessary, then you
don't understand why it's necessary.

> I stand by my statement that having a simpler book (maybe in addition to
> the existing) which provides a LiveCD would be better for those new to
> building Linux.

I invite you to make the strongest efforts to produce and promote something
that you think is more appropriate. You'll need to learn to put together a
minimal Linux distribution first. I hear there's a really good site for
that...

Alternatively, you may be looking for something like this book:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Linux-Works-Superuser-Should/dp/1593270356

after which you might want to consider revisiting LFS with an open mind.

> I am abandoning LFS for now.

Bye!