Stuck at 5.7.1

Mikie kmb at mikienet.com
Sat Jan 9 09:03:33 PST 2010

I'm one that stands on the same side of the fence as Bruce (and every
other contributor to this thread, I believe) in that the focus of the
book is meant to be educational, and a minimum knowledge of Linux/Unix
is expected. Total newbies need not apply. :-)

[K. Mike Bradley] Agreed

If you don't fit that description, then LFS is not for you. I've sat
silent listening to this thread and have come to the conclusion that
you do not understand the concept of LFS, hence your disappointment
in its ability to "reach people". Hey, we just agree to disagree on the
purpose and intent of the book! No big deal!

[K. Mike Bradley] I am not a newbie to Linux ... just a newbie to
building Linux

LFS is not meant as something people "use" for everyday use (though it
can be used that way). LFS is a learning tool that also builds a
helluva good operating system. Take advantage of the purpose of the
project, you'll be glad you did.

[K. Mike Bradley] I have built LFS twice successfully.
I don't think I learned a damned thing each time.
It's just rot  stuff ... do this ... do that.

I am a professional trainer and I know how to teach better than most
trainers.
LFS fails to teach.

Part of the reason it does is because it is too overwhelming to the
average crowd of Linux users.
Too much time is wasted in fixing the host and getting thru CH 5 to get
an independent tool chain.

I stand by my statement that having a simpler book (maybe in addition to
the existing) which provides a LiveCD would be better for those new to
building Linux.
We need to see how the operating system goes together first before we
get into more complex tasks such as building an independent tool chain.

I have found some articles which will help me understand the components
of Linux and how to make them.
I am abandoning LFS for now.

QED.