70-persistent-net.rules not created

Justin P. Mattock justinmattock at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 19:01:19 PST 2010

On 01/07/10 17:03, jmscott at setex.ipcallback.com wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 04:30:13PM -0800, Justin P. Mattock wrote:
>> On 01/07/10 16:07, jmscott at setex.ipcallback.com wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm having a problem with configuring the network scripts in the
>>> LFS book 6.5.  The file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
>>> doesn't appear to be created.  In particular, in chapter 7.13.1 is
>>> the blurb of code to pre-generate the udev rules file
>>>
>>> 	for NIC in /sys/class/net/* ; do
>>> 		INTERFACE=${NIC##*/} udevadm test --action=add $NIC
>>> 	done
>>>
>>> followed by the blurb to inspect the 70-persistent-net.rules file.
>>>
>>> 	cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
>>>
>>> The problem is that /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules is not created.
>>> Did I miss running a command in the previous chapters ...  perhaps
>>> /lib/udev/write_net_rules?
>>>
>>> Here is the link to the web page with the code in question
>>>
>>> 	http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter07/network.html
>>>
>>> Also, the host os is a freshly installed Centos 5.4 server in a
>>> virtualbox.com VM, all running under MAC Snow Leopard.
>>>
>>> Any help is appreciated.
>>>
>>> John Scott
>>> jmscott at setspace.com
>>

>> that rule might already be there
>> i.g. under /lib/udev/rules.d/*
>> also check in the source code
>> for this.
>
> 70-persistent-net.rules is not in /lib/udev/rules.d.  however, the file
>
>         /lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules
>
> exists.
>
> Does /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules need to exist
> in order to continue?
>
> I'm just working mechanically through the LFS book
> on a freshly installed host, seeing how far i can get
> before something boots or breaks.
>
> -j

over here I have 75-persistent-net-generator.rules
in /lib/udev/*
as well as 70-persistent-net.rules in /etc/udev/*

you can still boot with nothing in /etc/udev/rules.d.
although I was receiving a long pause during boot(30'sec)
which ended up being /lib/udev/write_net_rules/write_cd_rules
and 70-persistent-net.rules in /etc/*
(for some reason or another I was hitting this).

one way that I do to test udev is add
--debug in the init script(/sbin/udevd --daemon --debug)
then just sudo /etc/rc.d/init.d/udev restart
should show things that might be broken.

Justin P. Mattock