70-persistent-net.rules not created

jmscott at setex.ipcallback.com jmscott at setex.ipcallback.com
Thu Jan 7 17:03:39 PST 2010

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 04:30:13PM -0800, Justin P. Mattock wrote:
> On 01/07/10 16:07, jmscott at setex.ipcallback.com wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm having a problem with configuring the network scripts in the
> > LFS book 6.5.  The file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
> > doesn't appear to be created.  In particular, in chapter 7.13.1 is
> > the blurb of code to pre-generate the udev rules file
> >
> > 	for NIC in /sys/class/net/* ; do
> > 		INTERFACE=${NIC##*/} udevadm test --action=add $NIC
> > 	done
> >
> > followed by the blurb to inspect the 70-persistent-net.rules file.
> >
> > 	cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
> >
> > The problem is that /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules is not created.
> > Did I miss running a command in the previous chapters ...  perhaps
> > /lib/udev/write_net_rules?
> >
> > Here is the link to the web page with the code in question
> >
> > 	http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter07/network.html
> >
> > Also, the host os is a freshly installed Centos 5.4 server in a
> > virtualbox.com VM, all running under MAC Snow Leopard.
> >
> > Any help is appreciated.
> >
> > John Scott
> > jmscott at setspace.com
>

> that rule might already be there
> i.g. under /lib/udev/rules.d/*
> also check in the source code
> for this.

70-persistent-net.rules is not in /lib/udev/rules.d.  however, the file

       /lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules

exists.

Does /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules need to exist
in order to continue?

I'm just working mechanically through the LFS book
on a freshly installed host, seeing how far i can get
before something boots or breaks.

-j