Chapter 7 Problem -- unable to open device /sys/block/hdd

Rich Vigil richandamy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 16:59:58 PST 2010

Hello,

My LFS system is nearly complete, but I have run into an unexpected result
in chapter 7.10 (creating custom symlinks to devices). My build system runs
Ubuntu 9.04. Although the processor is a 64-bit part, I have opted to build
only a 32-bit OS.

I have gotten all the way through to chapter 7.10 without receiving any
unexpected errors in building the system. However, when I issued the command
"udevadm test /sys/block/hdd", the command stopped running with the message
shown in the subject line of my message.

I am certain that I was in the chroot environment per the instructions in
chapter 6 and that the virtual kernel filesystems were mounted as directed.
Did I miss something that would have created the missing device?

I posted this question to linuxquestions.org several days ago and, despite
more than a hundred views, I have not yet received any possible answers.

My original post (linked below) has the full result from the udevadm test
command. I left it out of this because my note is getting too long as it is.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-from-scratch-13/lfs-7.11-udevadm-test-unable-to-open-device-sysblockhd-778696/
--
cheers!
visit my website...