70-persistent-net.rules not created

jmscott at setex.ipcallback.com jmscott at setex.ipcallback.com
Thu Jan 7 16:07:16 PST 2010

Hello,

I'm having a problem with configuring the network scripts in the
LFS book 6.5.  The file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
doesn't appear to be created.  In particular, in chapter 7.13.1 is
the blurb of code to pre-generate the udev rules file

	for NIC in /sys/class/net/* ; do
		INTERFACE=${NIC##*/} udevadm test --action=add $NIC
	done

followed by the blurb to inspect the 70-persistent-net.rules file.

	cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

The problem is that /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules is not created.
Did I miss running a command in the previous chapters ...  perhaps
/lib/udev/write_net_rules?

Here is the link to the web page with the code in question

	http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter07/network.html

Also, the host os is a freshly installed Centos 5.4 server in a
virtualbox.com VM, all running under MAC Snow Leopard.

Any help is appreciated.

John Scott
jmscott at setspace.com