Stuck at 5.7.1

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 14:09:51 PST 2010

Mikie wrote:
>> What is the difference using another user and substituting that
>> username elsewhere in the book?
>
> Probably none, but using a different username has not been tested.
> What I can say for certain is that although you said you had been
> using the username 'ubuntu', the environment for that user did not
> contain the LFS_TGT variable (according to the results you posted),
> and therefore it seems likely you had other errors (each time
> $LFS_TGT was referenced), but you nevertheless ignored them. [K. Mike
> Bradley]
>

> That the $LFS_TGT is not in my Ubuntu environment is what I need to
> know. ... and I have had no errors up till this point.
>
> How does this create the situation where as and ld are screwed up?

Sigh.  We've been doing this for over 10 years and have over 21000
registered LFS users that have successfully built LFS.  Why do new users
want to do something different from the instructions and ask why their
build doesn't work?

There is one way that definitely works.  There are probably more.
However there are far more ways it doesn't work.

   -- Bruce