Stuck at 5.7.1

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 3 09:14:07 PST 2010

2010/1/3 Mikie <kmb at mikienet.com>:
>>Then you need to rm -rf /tools/*, go back to the part where you create
>>the lfs user and its environment, and do everything from that point on.
>
> What is the difference using another user and substituting that username elsewhere in the book?

Probably none, but using a different username has not been tested.
What I can say for certain is that although you said you had been
using the username 'ubuntu', the environment for that user did not
contain the LFS_TGT variable (according to the results you posted),
and therefore it seems likely you had other errors (each time
$LFS_TGT was referenced), but you nevertheless ignored them.

> Is the LFS user hardcoded in the kernel with special privileges?
Users are handled in userspace.

> All I want is to build a minimal Linux system for embedded development.
> Why is LFS so complicated?
> Is there another alternative?

Probably, several.  In fact, I'll go so far as to say that LFS is not
really designed for embedded systems.

> I don't see why the authors of LFS don’t create a liveCD with the independent tool chain ready to go and delete Ch 5.
> Why put a newbie like me thru all this?

If you are completely new to linux, you probably aren't
ready for LFS.  If you are a newbie in the sense of "first time
using LFS", just follow the book.

> It makes no sense and to be honest it distract from learning Linux because it is too much to bite off.

 Which is why LFS is not aimed at people who want to "learn
linux", it's aimed at people who have already used linux and built
some software, and now want to get in deep.

> CH 5 could be converted into an advanced project.
> also, because the user is left to pick from the myriad choices of hosts to build on, this creates a lot of variables and problems and stuck points for peeps.

 LFS *is* an advanced project.

> I say to the authors ..
>
> ... make a LiveCD iso file and eliminate a lot of confusion and trouble tickets on this list.

Please read the preface in the book.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"