Stuck at 5.7.1

Jan-Christoph Bornschlegel trollfood at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 3 07:53:40 PST 2010

Am Sonntag 03 Januar 2010 16:36:58 schrieb Mikie:
> What is the difference using another user and substituting that username
> elsewhere in the book? Is the LFS user hardcoded in the kernel with special
> privileges?
*ROTFL*
Did you notice where your kernel comes from? ;)

The name "lfs:lfs" doesn't matter, you're free to change. It just has to be a
user in the chroot system.

> Why is LFS so complicated?

It isn't. Well, at least not the FS part :)

There's one at http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/livecd/

> Why put a newbie like
> me thru all this?

LFS' purpose is (as far as I understood) provide a platform for learning how
Linux works, not provide a set of ready-to-go scripts for anything.

> It makes no sense and to be honest it distract from learning Linux because
> it is too much to bite off.

For me it's the logical next step after "From Power Up to Bash Prompt", and it
worked.

> I say to the authors ..
>
> ... make a LiveCD iso file and eliminate a lot of confusion and trouble
> tickets on this list.

I can't help thinking you misunderstood the purpose of the project.

Just my 2cent...