Stuck at 5.7.1

Mikie kmb at mikienet.com
Sun Jan 3 07:36:58 PST 2010

>Then you need to rm -rf /tools/*, go back to the part where you create
>the lfs user and its environment, and do everything from that point on.

What is the difference using another user and substituting that username elsewhere in the book?
Is the LFS user hardcoded in the kernel with special privileges?

All I want is to build a minimal Linux system for embedded development.
Why is LFS so complicated?
Is there another alternative?

I don't see why the authors of LFS don’t create a liveCD with the independent tool chain ready to go and delete Ch 5.
Why put a newbie like me thru all this?

It makes no sense and to be honest it distract from learning Linux because it is too much to bite off.

CH 5 could be converted into an advanced project.
also, because the user is left to pick from the myriad choices of hosts to build on, this creates a lot of variables and problems and stuck points for peeps.

I say to the authors ..

... make a LiveCD iso file and eliminate a lot of confusion and trouble tickets on this list.