What's up with the gcc-4.1.2-specs-1.patch?

stosss stosss at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 09:48:12 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 7:48 AM, Kyle Rush <kyle at cyber-rush.org> wrote:

> What's up with the gcc-4.1.2-specs-1.patch?
>
> when I run it, it prompts for what file to patch, and it seems to think it
> should patch a whole bunch of files, none of which actually exist. If I
> try to patch them anyway, it says "error on line #, can't find file to
> patch"
> but when I re-run the patch, it says the same thing, AND "patch previously
> applied, skipping patch" !!! ? what is wrong here??
>
> I am using LFS LiveCD ver 6.3, same book version.
>
> The computer I am building LFS on is NOT connected to the internet, hence
> I have not downloaded any of the patches or packages it says you should.
> My dad, who has been working with computers (Unix & linux) for 15 - 25
> years, says that they shouldn't be needed unless it is on the internet.

All the files including patches are on the CD (if you are using the
full version of the LiveCD). Your Dad is wrong. If you don't know what
you are doing and don't follow the book, you will have problems. There
are some patches that need to be applied or the system will not build
properly. Connected to the Internet or not makes no difference. You
should be in the sources folder and doing all the building from within
that folder and the appropriate folders for the package you are
building.